Search This Blog

Click Category Below for Topic of Interest

The hospital is a wonderful place

               The hospital is a wonderful place
              Full of intrigue but lacking in grace,
                Lacking in grace of human respect,
                Personal dignity lies in neglect.

          Doctors stream through, all probe and all pry
         From the tip of the toe to the depth of the eye.
        They punch and they poke, they thump and they stab
              Until in defence I become an old crab.

            They look down my throat, examine my ear,
              Pull at my hair, no wonder I'm queer.
           No questions too stupid or personal to ask;
            Do I smoke cigarettes? or tipple a flask?

            They discuss each sign, notice each frown,
            Facial expression they promptly note down.
            Artfully hedging, they avoid every issue,
               My adipose fat they label "tissue."

               Interrogation is long and in detail
            From personal questions they never quail.
         Their sifting of facts is so thorough and clear
              If I do a crime, I'll never come here.


  
     Written in Madison University Hospital while I was there, Sept. 1968.  I had been so depressed that I was referred to a psychiatrist.


No comments:

Post a Comment